I think that 8+ years ago, this blog would have been pretty unthinkable in places like Placencia, maybe not so much in Ambergris Caye, but definitely elsewhere in the country. There really are not things like Vegan, Vegetarian, or Low Carb in the local Belize culture...the national dish is chicken, rice, and beans, and tortillas/carbs with meat protein are everywhere. You couldn't even order a soup with these restrictions as the soups are all usually bone-broth based, and then additionally are served with rice, so not a win there for either party. Many guests tell us when they have tried to order vegan at some local spots it has not translated well (veggies may be cooked in butter, etc). It is no secret that the restaurant and food options have exploded in Belize, and there have been many North Americans who have moved to Belize to start businesses that have brought more of the North American diet trends down.
Side note - one of the side effects of living in Belize is becoming very accustomed to made-from-scratch food....it truly is "whole food" and not in like a gluten-free brownie kind of way. If you watch the locals cook, it truly is corn mashed by hand, boiling chicken for stock, and there are no shortcuts from the SYSCO truck. When I go back to the US, the food at chain restaurants definitely tastes different than Belize (....not in a good way.....it tastes kind of processed.)
There are more options than ever for diet restrictions, and we will do our best to keep up with the new places coming. While you are probably already good at figuring out how order if you eat like this, these places are known to have specific menu options or are particularly easy and/or delicious to do straight from the menu...
Vegetarian/Vegan Options (you can at least find good options)
- Rick's Cafe - The Vegan Salad is worth coming to Belize for.
- The Shak - Vegan menu options - salads, wraps, falafel hummus, veggie burgers, stir fry & curries
- La Dolce Vita - Vegan menu options
- Tipsy Tuna - Basics - salad, etc
- Barefoot Bar - Portobello sandwiches, stir fries and other vegetarian options
- Secret Garden and Pickled Parrot - both have a vegetarian stir fry (Pickled Parrot may have a salad bar too)
- Rumfish - has 2 vegetarian options
- Cha Chi's - does a Vegan/Gluten free zucchini pasta, and a Vegan Pizza
- Wendy's Creole Restaurant & Bar - has a veggie burrito people go nuts for
- Dawn's - has vegan specials
Cha Chi's Vegan pasta - Facebook
- Salads at Poco Loco Food Court
- Iguana Juan's - Vegan menu items
- Juice Dive - Pretty much all vegan
- Nook - Upon Request
- Shoots Alive - Tons of vegan options
- Black Orchid - Vegan/vegetarian menu items
- Ak'bol - They have a bowl people rave about
- Sandbar - Vegan Pizza
- Elvi's - Veggie Curry
- Blue Water Grill - Veg specials and menu items
- PUR Taco Bar (shameless plug, this is our place!) - Vegan ingredients listed on menu for taco bar
- This blogger already made a great post with several towns in Belize, and what she ordered: Anna Wildman Belize Vegan Eats She does a great job explaining why it is hard to order - and you do want to be careful about what the curries and rice are cooked in.
- Here is another good vegan resource - sometimes menus can change so keep that in mind :) Vegan Options i Travel Belize
Vegetarian Enchiladas at Iguana Juan's - Facebook
**I do follow this diet myself so I know how hard it is here. I started a Pinterest page for living in Belize and eating Low Carb - you can follow it HERE. I only include ingredients that I know you can get here. While you technically CAN eat low carb anywhere, just order a grilled chicken breast or salad (salads are rare and not great here, and it can get boring!), these are places where I had a better/easier experience. You almost can't eat at most stands or BBQ places - the sauce is full of sugar :(. Soups are typically not low carb at all, either. Sugar is also added to a lot of stuff - even cole slaw.
- Wende's - Great fresh fish with good veg side options.
- Cozy Corner - Another great local fish with good, substantial veg sides.
- Rick's - He has a vegan salad that I add chicken to - it's outstanding!
- Merl's Cafe - They make actual low-carb treats like muffins!!! First time I have ever seen this in Belize.
- Dolce Vita - They have awesome portions and you can do a veg or salad on the side, totally huge, great, filling.
- Rumfish, De'tatch, or Secret Garden - These places are great for special protein options, and will let you sub veg for the side.
- Barefoot Bar or Tipsy Tuna - Dry rub wings, salad, or a burger with no bun - these places have amazing non-low carb bar food but you won't feel totally deprived :)
- The Shak - Omelette with meat side - yum.
- Rotisserie chicken from Sidewinders - Easy and predictable!
Merl's Cafe - Low Carb Blueberry Muffins - Facebook
- Salads at Poco Loco's Food Court - Easy peasy
- Iguana Juan's - Great burgers (no bun) and salads
- Nook - They often have awesome veg sides or cauliflower substitutions, & Parker's Poppers
- Hungry Grouper - I had a great experience with the protein and veg options for sides - generous portions/many options.
- Elvi's - Elvi's salad with chicken
- Warugama - Get the chicken skewer with a side of veg - amazing
- Blue Water Grill - The tuna salad is to die for
- PUR Taco Bar (shameless plug, this is our place!) - Low carb salad options listed on taco bar menu plus low carb soup option
Low Carb at Nook - Facebook
***I plan to keep this as a live document so please reach out to me if I missed any good ones!!