Friday, April 25, 2014

First Blog Entry! The longest I will have ever left home...

I am starting this blog on the second day of the longest time I will ever have been away from my home! I grew up in Northeast Ohio, near Cleveland. I went to college and grad school at the University of Akron, only 45 minutes away. The longest I have ever left was for maybe three weeks!

A year ago, my husband Dave and I went to Costa Rica with some friends. On the last day, he looked at me and said, I don't want to leave! I was feeling the same way. I think that is not unusual, and plenty of people dread going home to their regular routines after an exotic trip. However, we kept the idea alive the entire year and spent hours pouring over whether it was realistic to uproot our lives to go to Central America. We decided that it was reasonable to at least have a home that we could visit in the winter, as Cleveland winters are brutal.

Dave is self employed and develops properties and homes for a living, and I had a mental health counseling private practice with two friends. We waited almost a year to visit Central America again--and all of our research said Belize was the best fit for us. The real estate is based on British law, they speak English, it is a quick flight, there is no squatter's rights, the real estate is booming in that it is one of the quickest growing countries in the Western hemisphere, the locals are charming, and it looks like a postcard of a beach town!

We visited the Cayes (pronounced keys) first on our trip this past March. We loved it, the action, business, development, tourism--and we placed a bid on a beach home. The owner decided to up his price by 50% so that didn't work for us :). We then rented a car and drove all over Belize, seeing what feels right. We are ridiculously decisive people--it is either a yes or a no for us, and if it is a yes, then there is no questioning it! We didn't have that feeling of certainty again until we hit Placencia. Placencia is a small village on the tip on the Placencia Peninsula, and it is almost 20 miles long. As soon as we hit the turn on the peninsula, we looked at each other and said, this is it.

We met with a (super fun) real estate agent, Chris, and had seen a property online that we were really excited by while we were in San Ignacio. The property was called Las Amigas, and it was a breathtaking 1/2 acre on the Caribbean. As soon as we stepped on the property, that feeling of certainty hit. We haven't questioned it since! That was about 2 months ago.

Now, here we are. We sold our home quickly, I left my practice :(, moved into a tiny one bedroom in an apartment building Dave owns, packed up 4 suitcases and our Chihuahua, Sticks, and just got here for good 2 days ago. It has been emotional, overwhelming, completely exhilarating, life changing, and probably a bit crazy!

I had been searching for a blog to keep me connected to Placencia while we were back home, and there wasn't ONE I could find! My goal of this blog is not only to document our experience here, but to do my part to introduce visitors to what I believe is a VERY special place on the planet. Special enough for me to leave a place a love, with people I love, for the hope that this adventure would bring about an experience for a lifetime. I don't know what our future looks like exactly--a lot will depend on our success and luck down here! I am SO excited to capture this experience as I have spent a lot of time daydreaming about the very life that I am currently living!  Not all posts will be this long :) Feel free to comment or ask me any questions! Our new resort name is Caribbean Beach Cabanas of Placencia. You can find us at www.caribbeanbeachcabanas.com or our facebook page,
https://www.facebook.com/CaribbeanBeachCabanasofPlacencia.

Hope to see you all in Placencia soon!! <3<3<3 Here are some of my favorite pictures so far...






2 comments:

  1. Hello from Lakewood, OH!!!

    My boyfriend and I vacationed on Ambergris and Caulker for the first time in December 2012 and were instantly smitten! Ended up going back March 2013 to look at property and bought our slice on Ambergris. A plot of sand for now and retirement with in 5 years. Stumbled across your blog and now I've got some catching up to do ;) Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Looking forward to following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Yes I know the feeling of being smitten down here :) congrats on your purchase! I love ambergris too. Let me know if you venture down this way!!

      Delete